More on Smartphones

1. Ari Lakritz says:

I can accept that you absolutely must have a smartphone for work. Many jobs require one. But what are your thoughts about the necessity of a filter for inappropriate material? Do you personally use one? I am interested to hear your perspective.

• David F says:

I have a hard time imagining that someone would have a smartphone and not have a filter. אין אפוטרופוס לעריות is not a debatable concept.

2. Leah Frommer says:

Wow
    I’m trying to never use my phone when my kids can see me. But it is hard because they constantly ask me to look up info…a friend’s phone number, the year of a historical event etc. I think many chats are time wasters…people chat with people they don’t even know (or like)…

3. Steve Brizel says:

I think that cellphone abuse and addiction have created a generation that is oblivious to the real world and extraordinarily narcissist in their POV.

4. Charlie Hall says:

I download audio and video shiurim to my smartphone. I have Tanakh, several tractates of Talmud, and sefarim on my smartphone. I don’t have a filter because I often need to look at unfiltered material for work. (Among the things I have had to do for work is to teach medical students exactly how HIV is transmitted and why the epidemic spread so rapidly in the early years; a strong filter would not only block that information but also today’s Daf Yomi!)

Baruch HaShem I am commanded to turn the phone off every Shabbat and Yom Tov. My wife is a doctor and when she is on call she has to keep hers on and close by — and avoid basements with poor mobile phone reception.

5. Tal Benschar says:

R Gordimer raises an excellent point about Smartphones. Filtering out inappropriate content is only the first step. Obsessive and even addictive overuse, even if the content is innocuous, appears to be a serious problem. I am reminded of the Ramban’s famous example of someone who eats only kosher food but is still a naval birshus ha Torah.

In many ways this is a harder issue to deal with. I would like to see some discussion about how to deal with it from those with expertise.