Memo to: the National Football League

1. Shira Leibowitz Schmidt says:

On, Rabbi ! On, Rabbi! Plunge right through that line!
    Run the ball right down the field, a touchdown sure this time.

This posting was quintessential Rabbi Emanuel Feldman: humor, light parady, musar.

2. Nice try, but no two-point conversion. Musically, all those anthems are out of tune with today’s preferences. There is only one that is so rousing that it is timeless, and could still inspire the crowds. It exhorts us to resist the oppression of governments clamping down on minorities with unpopular beliefs. Can you imagine the excitement of 90000 spectators as they belt out “U-v’shilton ha-kofrim ein anu maaminim,” of the Neturei Karta anthem?

3. Raymond says:

I realize that I dare not give into my emotions when responding to columns on this website, yet I simply cannot deny the utter joy I feel when reading columns such as this one. I am kind of an outsider when it comes to the religious Jewish world, and so when I find that my thoughts on a particular issue are in total sync with a Rabbi of the stature of Emmanuel Feldman, well, let’s just say that it puts a huge smile on my face, as I feel so totally vindicated. And what icing on the cake it is, that he expresses such ideas in the humorous way that he does. His column put a a huge smile on my face.

As for the inane and insane politically correct antics of the National Football League, I have what I think is a perfect solution to the problem, namely for as many people as possible to no longer give the NFL even a dime of their money. That takes no effort on me personally, since I stopped being a football fan long ago when I heard that the Centers on their teams (the ones who hike the ball back to the Quarterback) have a 90% chance of getting brain damage due to their profession. Where it does impact me personally is Major League Baseball, which has also become politically correct. Baseball has been a lifelong passion for me. My favorite living celebrity for some time now has been Sandy Koufax, for reasons all of us already know.

On some level for me, baseball is America. When we can no longer even enjoy what should be the harmless pursuit of professional sports, that is a good sign that our society is going down, and going down fast. There is only one man who can stem this tide. We all know who he is. He is the most hated man in America, ironically hated for doing his best to save this country. And yet even the strongly pro-Israel President Trump can only slow down the process of America ending not with a bang, but with a whimper. It is a sad state of affairs, as America has been such a fantastic country, not only for us Jews, but for all of humanity. G-d help us all.

4. Just Curious says:

Let me begin by detailing my “pedigree” (lest you think I am some some sort of leftist “social justice warrior”-type): I am a politically conservative, frum, white American.

Allow me also to say that while this article does indeed display R’ Feldman’s characteristic wit, it is ultimately sorely misguided.

While I abhor the advancing tide of political correctness in this country and roll my eyes at the the NFL’s performative virtue signalling, the fact remains that neither Jews nor the English/French/Russians are being killed by police (on video, no less!) at anything near the rate of Black Americans.

(Nor, incidentally, are members of those other groups employed by the NFL at anything near anything near the rate of Black Americans, which may go a long way to explaining the NFL’s–as well as other American professional sports leagues’–sudden interest in so-called “racial justice”.)

This article by R’ Feldman reminds me of the misplaced retort of “all lives matter” to the cry that “black lives matter” (please note that I am not referring to the sometimes violent, possibly Marxist, Black Lives Matter “movement”):

When your fellowman’s house is on fire, the decent response is not “my house matters too!”

• Bob Miller says:

Have you notice that criminal activity brings police activity in its train? Some areas have more criminal activity per capita.

5. Steve Brizel says:

I was an avid Yankee and NY Giant football fan No more

Those who are paid millions to play children’s games for mass entertainment should have Hakaras HaTov for living in a country that provides them with that way of making a living Politicizing sports or entertainment an and should be met with the response you can go broke by insisting that we all become wolk

• Reb Yid says:

I, too, have been boycotting the NFL for the last few years, but for completely different reasons.

NFL owners are the worst at treating their players like they’re still on the plantation. When they blackballed Colin Kaepernick for silently, thoughtfully and respectfully kneeling, that was it for me.

They still haven’t offered him a chance of employment.