Open Orthodoxy Update, Parshas Devarim

1. Steve Brizel says:

The links sbow thhat OO is marching in accordance wirh the current Zeitgeist but beyond the pale of what anyone would call a reasonable definition of MO andvits training ground failing to attract students

Where there’s a will, there’s an OO/YCT way. The Divine Will as expressed through authentic Torah is extraneous to their process.

Their ever-more-frantic jockeying for attention reminds me of this old SNL episode with Buck Henry:

3. Dr bill says:

I wonder why a continual fascination with an insignificant factor in the US. In Israel there is a much stronger, growing and very significant movement capturing Jews across cultural divides. A much more fertile ground to try and attack

4. Abe says:

THANK YOU! to Cross Currents and Rabbi Rosenthal and Rabbi Gordimer for exposing this epicursis scourge on our community. Your efforts are bearing fruit and we really appreciate it.

5. lacosta says:

while the YCT grads may have been quaranteened from the O synagogue track, they are not closed off from the day school/university education wing. They can work on younger minds….

6. Michael says:

I agree! I made aliyah 6 years ago and am aghast at how fast left wing Orthodoxy seems to be growing in Yerushalayim.

7. Steve Brizel says:

The real ussue for the LW pf RZ is its indluence beyond those already converted to its raison de etre

In Israel, there could be an audience for “Orthodox Lite” within the group that does certain traditional things and likes traditional symbols, but has a thoroughly Western attitude in most theoretical and practical respects. In the US, there could be a much lower percentage of fence-straddlers.

9. lacosta says:

do you think it’s the army or something else? this is like, instead of going full datlash , going OO or worse, no?

10. dave says:

I don’t know if it’s really an OO issue, but it pains me when I see people who have made Aliyah and quickly wind up less frum than what they were in chutz la’aretz. Worse, some of their children wind up completely OTD. It’s not universal, of course, but I can name a bunch off the top of my head just from people I know/knew. Perhaps it is romantic to think that those who are inclined to make Aliyah do so from deep conviction and courage; could they be expected to utilize that conviction to achieve a closer connection to HKBH?

Where does the disconnect come from?

11. Ralph Suiskind says:

watered down judaism is the culprit… oo movement feds on ignorance and lack of full observance.. I witness this trend each and everyday. the zeitgest is actively engage in undermining jewish community especially those led by so-called modern orthodox rabbis. their willingness to allow questionable scholar in-residence to present their case before the ignorant masses paves the way for undermining traditional observance and wholesome jewish thinking… even though enrollment has dropped in their rabbinical institution, their influence continues to pervade many of our communities ….