Two Upbeat Thoughts Before Pesach

1. joel rich says:

I do know that many folks resonate to the type of uplifting thoughts you mentioned here. Some of us however might find the following of value

Our job is to play the cards we’re dealt (whether we find them attractive or not)consistent with our understanding of what HKB”H wants of us. We are part of the eternal people who will be judged individually and collectively based on our ability to do. Full Stop

Chag kasher vsameach vbari and KT

2. dr. bill says:

Rabbi Adlerstein, excellent. In a very small measure, I have a sense of a personal yeshuah this pesach. The dafim that I will not hear from my SIL on YU Torah over YT/shabbos, are the dafim I know better than any others in all of shas. Be’shivili nivrah ha’olam, perhaps.

A freilechah YT to you and your rebbitzen

3. Raymond says:

I have nothing to say this time, because for some reason, tears are forming in my eyes even though i am not cutting any onions. Seriously, such deep, profound insights are expressed so beautifully in the above article, that all I can say is that I thank G-d for including me among our Jewish people.

And to every Jew (as well as Righteous Gentiles) on Earth suffering from the Chinese virus or any other medical disease, I wish you a full and speedy recovery. Chag Sameyach

4. njs says:

“G-d reaction to the Golden Calf was in itself an exercise of midas ha-din, of His attribute of Judgment”
    Obviously you are quoting the Ran here, but can you explain in what sense the Divine reaction to chet haegel was din and not hesed ?

• Hopefully by now you’ve read of my error. It was R Dessler, citing “seforim ha-kedoshim,” and not the Ran. That doesn’t help you, however. The exercise of Midas HaDin is not explained. I think that the simple explanation is that the Midas HaDin is the very mention by Hashem (Shemos 32:10) that He was ready (absent some intervention by Moshe) to destroy the Bnei Yisrael in an exercise of charon af.

5. a says:

Please change the picture for this article. It is apparently of two not properly dressed women. Albeit it is only a silhouette, but still a mistake this type of website should not make.

• Reminds me of the time that some of the chassidim of the Kloizenberger zt”l complained about the dress of the women around the hospital that he built in Netanya, close to the beach. To get to the hospital, especially on Shabbos, they had to encounter many of the local residents. The Rebbe said, “Hmmm. I never noticed.”

Now, from your use of the word “apparently,” it seems that you can entertain some doubt. I have even greater doubt. I have no idea at all what gender (of the 47 or so currently approved labels) to attach to the figure on the left. The one on the right seems more likely to be female, although it could be a male (or one of the 45 others) with weird hair. Silhouettes can be confusing, I guess. Although not very prone to land people in Gehinom, even when a bit clearer.

Let us say, arguendo, that the figure on the right is indeed a bona fide possessor of two X chromosomes. Let us say, furthermore, that said figure is not wearing a skirt that covers the knees, but is wearing – gasp! – pants! Now, there is nothing to indicate that said figure is a member of the Mosaic faith. (From her/his/its enthusiasm, we can only deduce that she/he/it is not a kalte Litvak.) I have searched far and wide, and cannot find any source that mandates that non-Jews follow the details of our halacha. Even Shut Ramo #10, which does mandate that they follow halachic details (and also has not been accepted by those who followed, except for people who want to enforce intellectual property rights against non-Jews who are strange enough to agree adjudicate in beis din), does so only in regard to Choshen Mishpat. It would not apply to practices of tzniyus in dress, especially since many (but not all) of those themselves are functions of minhag ha-makom and consequent pritzas geder when broken. IOW, there is nothing wrong with a non-Jewish woman wearing pants. (It’s a huge mistake to take practices meant to instill in us a greater sense of kedushah, and somehow turn them into a defintion of morality, with which we measure others.) Ergo, there is no real basis for seeing those women (maybe) in the picture as “not properly dressed.”

Naah. I think we’ll keep the picture.

Something I’ve been thinking about:
    1. When Moshe told Pharaoh the timing of the tenth plague, he purposely used vague language in case the Egyptians’ version of a clock was off.
    2. When Moshe told the Jews (see Rashi) when he’d return from the peak of Sinai to the camp, he used language that appeared precise but was capable of misinterpretation. Why didn’t he just say, “I’ll get back in around 40 days”, to prevent potential problems?