The case for Israel’s moon mission — from a Torah perspective

1. Very interesting. Is the author related to Captain Picard?

• Raymond says:

lol that is exactly the first thought I had as well. Maybe he picked that last name for that very reason, although if so, I wish he had chosen Kirk instead.

2. dr. bill says:

I applaud your motives. while you quote a gemara, there is a mishnah, that refers to astronomy as providing only accouterments to hokhmah. Hi hokhmashem is our torah based way of living, when observed properly.

Why my piddling comment? I view astronomy and all of science, not as Torah, but as other sources of (necessary) wisdom. Raavad’s only critique in the section on calculating the Jewish calendar of Kiddush HaHodesh of Rambam, contains his admission that he was not privileged to learn astronomy. His question proves that. The answer requires knowledge of astronomy, which would explain why Rambam did not give the gemara’s clearly stated reason. Rambam was explaining scientifically why the gemara was not concerned about the (incorrectly assumed negative) impact of its reason for postponing RH. As Dr.Elman ztl often said, most amoraim were modern orthodox; they valued things outside torah – maddah.

• Nachum says:

As a student of Prof. Elman, I should point out that his position- and he knew of what he spoke- was that *every* Tanna and Amora, with one possible exception, was what we’d call “Modern Orthodox”, under its philosophical definition. (We’re not talking modern sociology, of course.)

Unless there is a valid defense angle to this program, I don’t see enough bang for the shekel. The ego boost of a successful mission is not nearly enough.

4. Raymond says:

I just do not agree with this at all. Or maybe, I might agree with it only for those few individuals who show an early and strong inclination toward science, as Albert Einstein did even when he was just a child. However, for the vast majority of us more ordinary people, I think that so many other things take priority. First and foremost in our lives, are the issues of health and income. It is astronomically (pun intended) more difficult to do anything we want to do in our lives, if we are in poor health and/or are not financially independent. Once we have a pretty good handle on both health and finances, we Jews can then try to find some kind of ideal balance between devotion to our families, our local Jewish community, and Torah study. The problem with equating science or any other secular field of study with the Torah, is that one can then so easily fall into the trap of pursuing only secular wisdom. One might be inclined to say that there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but our time and our energy in this world is limited. That may not be something that young and healthy people have any awareness of, but such realities of life sure do creep up on all of us, as the years go by and our energy all too quickly dissipates. If we Jews do not devote ourselves to Torah study, who will? And if not now, when? For the truth is that we Jews are so few in number and are, after all, the ones whom G-d has chosen to spread Torah teachings to our fellow Jews, and even to the world at large to some extent, and so that needs to be our focus. Does this mean that I advocate a Torah Only approach to life? Not at all, as that would not be realistic, and yet other than whatever studies promotes better health and more financial stability, Torah study must be the not-necessarily-exclusive priority. Or to put it another way, Torah study should be like our regular 9 to 5 jobs, while secular studies can be compared to taking a very temporary vacation from our usual routines.

And on a larger, more global scale, I think that Israel’s incursion into space was not only a big waste of time, but such a waste of valuable resources that could have instead been spent on feeding poor, hungry Jews, or on medical research. And even for those who have a special proclivity toward science, it seems to me that there is still plenty of things to explore right here on Earth, such as our deep forests and even deeper oceans, to keep scientists busy for many centuries to come.

5. Nachum says:

As a YU alum, I feel obligated to point out that the Torah U-Madda conference is jointly sponsored by Machon Lev (JCT), Bar Ilan, and YU. Its location rotates between the three- YU’s Jerusalem campus in their case.