Dishonesty in the Service of Animus

1. Shanks says:

As one reads further, however, it becomes clear that the course didn’t exactly “[come] under pointed questioning by curriculum experts.”

I don’t see where that becomes clear. They have one small quote from Lockman and if what you wrote is true, you’re right that he shouldn’t have been the academic consulted. But he didn’t say anything crazy here — actually, he’s right — and they also have a quote from Russ Poulin of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education Cooperative for Educational Technologies.

2. E. Fink says:

Getting credit for JOU is ALSO dishonesty. It is kiruv 101. It has nothing to do with advocacy for Israel.

“…what does the Forward’s selection of this shameless Palestinian apologist as the arbiter of academic impartiality, and its failure to inform readers of Lockman’s history, tell us about the paper’s journalistic ethics?…”

It tells us again what we ought to know already.

4. Rejewvenator says:

In this whole piece I could not figure out whether the author believes that Touro should offer college credit for a course put together by a political advocacy group. I mean forget Lockman for a minute. If Touro is giving credit for a course that really isn’t college level our college appropriate, then Lockman is right, regardless of his other views, hateful though they may be.

5. Reb Yid says:

I’m confused. The article states “Touro College, a Jewish-oriented institution that reaches out especially to Orthodox students”….and you have a problem with this? There’s anti-Orthodox animus in that description? Really?

It’s an objective fact. Who would deny it? And no reason why that said institution can’t simultaneously attract other minorities as you mention. It’s not a zero sum game, after all.

But in the context of this article, it certainly is appropriate to mention the considerable Orthodox population at Touro. These are the students, not the other “minorities”, that are mostly likely the recipients of college credits for the “course” in question.

6. L. Oberstein says:

The Forward has gained a new life as an English weekly that is heavily subsidized. It has always been a socialist paper and used to print a Saturday morning edition. They definately have a slant that may jive with Haaretz’s joy in exposing religious corruption and sin. If we want to be triumphalist,we can say that they are jealous of our ascendancy and it is just bitterness. The other side of the coin is that the Forward and the NY Jewish Week deal with issues, not only chareidi foibles, that publications of another slant won’t touch. They are the muckrakers and that serves a purpose. Caveat Emptor, they are secular socialists deep in their hearts.

7. Steve Brizel says:

Yasher Koach to Eytan Kobre on a well written expose of a leftist posing as an objective critic. Apparently, Lockman feels that only courses that meet his POV are “legitimate” courses in Middle East studies. FWIW, Touro has numerous branches around the world, with the overwhelming majority therein decidedly not Orthodox Jews, as opposed to its NYC campuses.

8. Mr. Cohen says:

I hope and pray [literally] that I will live to see the day when all Jews, especially those who consider themselves to be observant (“Frum” in Yiddish) will stop reading Orthodox-bashing newspapers like: The Jewish Week, The Forward and HaAretz, and also stop advertising in them.

Whenever I suggest to my fellow Orthodox Jews that they stop reading Orthodox-bashing newspapers, the usual response is some blatantly pathetic excuse why they “can’t” stop reading those newspapers.

On Yom HaDin, the great Day of Judgment, all those pathetic excuses will be revealed for exactly what they are, and they will not accepted as valid defenses by The True Judge.

9. L. Oberstein says:

I appreciate the people who come up to me in shul (not during services of course) and say they read my comments. I still don’t understand why bloggers need anonymity and they know who I am but I don’t know who they are in most cases.
    Cross-Currents is one site that discusses political issues from a Jewish point of view. What is important is that not all of us agree what is a “Jewish point of view.”
    I agree that the Forward went too far in this case and probably at other times too, but I could easily write a similar article decrying the slant of other publications in the more orthodox side of the community that have a clear agenda also. The Forward is secular and socialist, they also aren’t afraid to make a lot of trouble and stir the pot. Touro is not controversial and I don’t think this foible is much to complain about. But, and this bothers me to no end, almost every week , the author of this article writes in Mishpacha and somehow ties in his own personal political opinons with Torah ture Judaism. Why is that ok and the socoalist Forward not ok. Why is is ok to say that Judaism is right wing Republicanism but not left wing soicialism, I could make a case for either and so could most of y ou.

10. SZiskind says:

Every publication has an agenda. The question is how open are they about their agenda and how appropriate is that agenda for their readership? I think the frum publications are very open about being Torah based and proud of their using Rabbonim to make sure nothing questionable goes in to their publications and their adherance to daas Torah. How upfront is the Jewish Week and the Forward about their secular agenda? Maybe it would be less problematic if they made it more upfront instead of trying to come across as a publication for all Jews including frum ones.

I’m thrilled btw, that now we can actually comment on Mr. Kobre’s columns. Recently he had a column where he mentioned starting a conversation and I was thinking, what conversation? Okay people could write to him I guess. But now he’ll really start the conversation if his pieces from Mishpacha end up on Cross-Currents.

11. Lawrence M. Reisman says:

In response to Mr. Cohen, I would reply that I read those newspapers to reply to their articles and authors with letters to the editor and response articles, something I did actively for many years. I read those newspapers because even if I don’t write, I live in a world where others do read them and I will have to reply when asked by those others what I think. And finally, I read those newspapers because every once in a while, something that’s written is true. When that happens, we are exposed to an uncomfortable truth about ourselves that we might not have learned otherwise, and that is for the best. Finally, there are those times that those newspapers will print something positive about our community that we ourselves were unaware of. It has happened.