The Irrelevance of the Settlements

All the Israeli concessions made in return for happy talk and formal pledges from previous US Presidents look pretty pointless now, except maybe as ways to stall for time.

Obama has betrayed a lot of people, but he betrays no sign of appreciation for Israel or its security predicament.

I hope we don’t see Israel conceding more behind the smokescreen of its tough declarations.

2. L. Oberstein says:

You will get no disagreement from me on this topic. However, the problem will continue to fester.What is the solution to the non Jewish inhabitants who do not want to be Israeli citizens and who are not loyal to the State?

3. Ori says:

L. Oberstein: What is the solution to the non Jewish inhabitants who do not want to be Israeli citizens and who are not loyal to the State?

Ori: Barring miracles, the same solution to the Jewish inhabitants of the Roman province of Judea who did not want to be subjects of the empire. I hate writing it, but I can’t see any other thing that is likely to happen beDerech haTevah (in the natural way).

Don’t bar miracles.

5. Steve Brizel says:

Yasher Koach on a superb article, which PM Netanyahu echoed in his description of the 1967 boundaries as narrower than the width of the Washington Beltway.

6. Ori says:

I don’t bar miracles, but neither do I count on them. Where does “Ein somchin al haNes” come from?

7. YM says:

Jonathan, your analysis seems to exclude any possibility of a Palestinian state. Other than Moshiach coming, it seems like Israel cannot follow thru on any solution that would make sense given the parameters you mention. Yet, you have staked your life in Israel, your children live in Israel, your grandchildren…why would you want to live in a country that requires a miracle, or really “hard choices”, to survive?