The Art of Menschlichkeit

1. Nachum says:

And if you had any doubts, the second invite should clinch it.

But if you end up not going, I’d be more than glad to take your place. Any spare slots?

2. Noah Katz says:

Please go – and add thanks from many more of us who won’t have that same opportunity.

3. Paul D. Bryan says:

It is a pleasure to read your retort to a costic liberal media who seems bent on only fault finding. Your graciousness and sincerity are refreshing in a very often bitter world. You are truly walking with insight and wisdom for bringing unity amongst a very diverse set of cultures. Thank you for being a voice of reason in a knee jerk society determined at times to take the law over the spirit of the love behind the President’s actions. G-d bless! Shalom.

4. Noam says:

You are very correct that we should not nit pick and should be grateful for the greater good. In that vein, I wonder what President Bush would think of his invitation to you when he reads “I have no personal desire to make the trip. Having attended other such gatherings, whatever thrill might once have lain in milling about in a large crowd or shaking the President’s hand no longer persists. And as for organizational concerns, well, the Bush White House’s days are numbered – and the number is a small one. ” That sort of public response will probably niether warm his heart nor make him glad he put out the time and effort to have the party.

Noam

5. Harry Maryles says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. I only wish other more politically and religiously liberal Jews could see the outgoing President in this way. He deserves thanks from all of us. God bless him – and God bless the United States of America.

6. Yehoshua Friedman says:

Go with G-d and send my greetings from Eretz Yisrael. The knee-jerk PC heterodox liberal Jews have once again shown that my team is always right and the other team is always wrong. My father a”h and my mother tlh”a were lifelong Democrats and politically active. My maternal grandfather a”h was a Republican. My father loved and honored his father-in-law and they generally avoided talking politics. But one time my father in an unguarded moment asked, “Pa, how can you be in there with those ********?” Grandpa answered, “We have to have some good guys on the other side, too.” I wish more people would recognize that, both in America and Israel.

7. saul says:

Enjoy the holiday party, it is important for Jews to show up and say thanks. BTW, can you whisper in his ear a special word for Jonathan Pollard when there, since it is believed that Olmert forgot to….

8. Steve Brizel says:

Yasher Koach on a great column and on reminding us of the centrality of Hakaras HaTov as an essential element of Yahadus.

9. mycroft says:

As one who believes that good Orthodox blogs are ruined when one enters the political thicket I would just like to mention that the evidence on GWB is much more mixed on Israel than Rabbi Shafran indicates.
    Much more basic is the ignoring of the basic Christian aspects of our country and how to deal with it. If one looks on the website of Presidential documentations they are all signed as the secualr date and then specifically explain that is year x of our Independence and the year reflecting the amount of years reflecting the deity that the majority of Americans at least nominally accept. It almost gets humorous but sad when a proclomation for Jewish Heritage month also spells out the date that way.