Friendly Coverage — It Can Be Done

Rabbi Menken pointed out that “even a well-made sheitel isn’t natural, and is usually immediately distinguishable to the practiced eye”. This raises the quasi-economic question: above what price level does the improvement in the appearance of a sheitel become too small to matter?

2. Yehoshua Friedman says:

A beautiful job, almost miraculous. Considering some run-in my friends and I have had with visiting journalists around here, it makes my day and should make yours, too.

3. Oldster says:

A cover is a cover is a cover! Nonetheless, I for one often cannot recognize a sheitel for a sheitel, certainly not a good one well handled by a capable woman.

4. ralphie says:

Hmmmm – wonder why this is in the Entertainment section.

5. moshe says:

“…We then had the opportunity to point out that even a well-made sheitel isn’t natural, and is usually immediately distinguishable to the practiced eye.”

Is this what the halacha comes down to? In fact there are plenty of sheitals now that are very difficult to distinguish from real hair. Are there any sheitals that cross the line and are prohibited by halacha? I believe the answer is no. So in essence the questioner is right-they really do defeatr the purpose. Unless you say the obligation to cover has nothing to do with modesty, which then begs the question:What is the reason for covering?

6. Steve Brizel says:

One wonders how any of the major NY-LA-DC papers would cover this issue.

7. sima ir kodesh says:

I find it more informative and meaningful when Women delve into and give over info about shtiel wearing, rather than men.

8. G B says:

When kollel wives who receive WIC and food stamps are buying sheitels that cost $1000 – 4000, something is terribly wrong with our definition of modesty. Ditto for those who can afford it. We are no different from any other fashion slave who is guided by culture dictating what is “au courant” and what we “must” have to be “IT.” We’ve confused the important halacha of a married woman covering her hair with flagrant and ostentacious consumerism that is a perversion of a beautiful rite of passage for a Jewish woman. I won’t even get into the lack of responsibility taken by many fabricators and stylists for defective or poorly cut sheitls, after women foolish enough to squander such huge amounts for their wigs disover, to their dismay, that their sheitls failed to meet their expectations, and the gold mine on their heads is, ultimately, only hair today, gone tomorrow.

9. Oldster says:

Isn’t it a chok for MARRIED women to cover their hair? If Halacha were like, lehavdil, the Moslems– wouldn’t unmarried women be required to wear head coverings?

10. Jewish Observer says:

“Isn’t it a chok for MARRIED women to cover their hair”

i don;t believe it is a chok the way shatnez is a chok

11. rak says:

Something tells me comment #8 was written by a man.

12. SephardiLady says:

I guess I don’t have a well trained eye. I just spend time inquiring about a really nice “girl” I met at a wedding that seemed right up the alley of a single we are friends with to find out she is married and that was a sheitel. 🙂

Better luck to me on both counts (recognizing sheitlach and making shidduchim) next time. 🙂

13. Rivka W. says:

Re #11 (which was re #8):

Perhaps it was written by a man. Allow me (not a man) to agree with it entirely. In the almost 15 years I have been covering my hair, I have not spent as much on ALL my wigs, snoods, hats, and tichels as I would have on one “custom.” In my opinion, spending thousands of dollars on a single wig is the height of absurdity.

14. Shalhevet says:

While I understand, and even agreed with G B (#8) and Rivka W. (#13), I have changed my perspective after hearing more than one friend explain how emotionally difficult it is for her to have to cover her hair. She feels she must do whatever she can to make the mitzvah easier and more pleasant for herself. Even if that means spending the thousands of dollars.
    While I don’t have that issue, I’ve come to realize that others do. Which brings us to “al tadin et chavercha…” – don’t judge others until you stand in their place.

15. G B says:

To #11 from #8: I am a woman who has covered my hair (hats/snoods/scarves and yes, sheitls) for 30 years.