Past,present,future of the haredi sector

Shira Schmidt

Shira Leibowitz Schmidt was raised in an assimilated Jewish home in New York, and became observant while studying at Stanford University in California. In June 1967 she told her engineering school professor she would miss the final exam because she was going to Israel to volunteer during the Six Day War. “That’s the most original excuse I have ever been offered,” he responded. She arrived during the war and stayed, receiving her BSc in absentia. She subsequently met and married the late Elhanan Leibowitz, and they raised their six children in Beersheba. Mrs. Leibowitz acquired a Masters in Urban & Regional Planning from the Technion, and an MSc in Civil Engineering from University of Waterloo. Today she lives with her husband, Dr. Baruch Schmidt, in Netanya. She is on the board of the Charedi College of Jerusalem. She co-authored, with Nobel prize-winning chemist Roald Hoffmann, Old Wine New Flasks. She has co-translated from Hebrew to English (with Jessica Setbon) From the Depths (the autobiography of Rabbi Israel Meir Lau); The Forgotten Memoirs (memoirs of Rabbis who survved the Shoah, edited by Esther Farbstein); and Rest of the Dove (Parashat Hashavua by Rabbi Haim Sabato). She s available to lecture in Israel and in the US.

1. S. says:

>The author, Aharon Rose shows how academic experts and non-haredi historians who have analyzed the history of this sector, and have written prognostications, have missed the mark by a long shot.

Claims, IMHO, not shows.

While I admire the piece and the idea behind it (Belzer chossid joins academia and does not go native) it does not demonstrate his claims of bias, which I agree exists. He simply says that the Haredi self conception is different from the various academic analyses, which is sort of a no-brainer, but isn’t proof of bias, unless disagreement is in itself bias.

I wrote a piece about it here.

2. Steve Brizel says:

Aharon Rose’s piece is an excellent article that should be must reading for anyone who questions the long term viability of the Charedi world.As the author points out, the secrets of the Charedi world are chesed and a single minded devotion to Torah, Avodah and Gmilus Chasadim-which can and should be admired by other groups within the Torah world.

Mishpacha is a fascinating read. R Grylak provides the hard ideological edge which is softened by the column of R J Rosenblum. I think that Mishpacha was willing to push the edge of the envelope with its weekly serial on a young kollel couple who were not exactly a role model and its profiles of women leaders-even single women. I also like the fact that it is nowhere as anti RZ and MO as its competitors and will mention Gdolim of all sectors. I particularly liked the interview with R A Z Weiss.

3. tzvee says:

The subtitle is ‘How scholars have misunderstood the ultra-Orthodox’. But the article is vague and unfocused about which scholars and which ultras – and about what ‘misunderstood’ means. Overall though, the article is a polite polemic and is replete with many scholarly references and observations.

4. Steve Brizel says:

Tzvee-Reread the article and the extensive footnotes. The article takes aim at many of the so-called “academic experts” on the Charedi scene and their biases and lack of understanding at what drives that community as well as their willingness to trot out Shababniks and Charedi Nachalniks as representative of the charedi world-which, in fact, they are far from at all.

5. Baruch Horowitz says:

I read the Haaretz link on Mishpacha. I have yet to find a perfect weekly newspaper or magazine, but since I don’t have time to start my own, I guess I will have to be satisfied with what is currently out there.

Mishpacha Magazine deserves much credit, in my opinion, for satisfying as many people as possible. While in many ways it is a typical Charedi publication, it does highlight positive things among different communities in Klal Yisroel. There was a feature about a year ago about Rabbi Pinchas Stopler, formerly of the NCSY, and more recently, an interesting article before Shavuos about a gardener–if I recall correctly, he wasn’t from the Charedie community.

As Steve said above, Rabbi Grylak does indeed provides a “hard ideological edge”. However, I am impressed that in my opinion at least , he often writes in a way that is sympathetic towards the RZ community, without sacrificing the core charedie ideology.

I also like the fact that the magazine has sometimes stood up to the “hard line” approach, in the interest of a broader readership, or of broader concerns. I thought that they handled both the “Hearts of Gold” issue, and the article on the proposed parade in Jerusalem(let’s hope it is permanently cancelled) well. In the former case, Rabbi Grylak acknowledged the sincere concerns of those who felt that the series could negatively impact Kollel couples, but continued the series with a disclaimer, based on the magazine’s Rabbinic advice. In the latter case, a well-meaning letter-writer criticized the magazine for publishing a veiled and oblique article authored by Rabbi Grylak on the proposed gay parade in Yerushalayim. However, upon Rabbinic advice, the magazine did not bother responding. Apparently the necessity of publicly raising the issue, outweighs the parochial(although well-intended) concerns of this individual.

I hope that the magazine will continue to add some diversity to the Charedi media, even as they follow their Rabbinic guidance.

6. Steve Brizel says:

Baruch-Rabbi Grylack IMO spends far more time bashing RZ than acting sympathetic towards it. I almost fell off my chair when he approved of a joint RZ/Charedi protest against the toevah parade. You can probably count anything positive that he has written about RZ on about one finger of one hand.While his columns do indeed express a hard ideological edge, there are other columns and interviews in Mishpacha that compensate for R Grylak’s column.

7. HILLEL says:

Rabbi Grylak’s columns are a beacon of Torah Hashkafa applied to the modern-day context.

The smashing success of Mishpacha magazine is the best indication that Rabbi Grylak has come up with the right formula for Hareidi community.

P.s. As for the Religious-Zionist community, Hareidim–and I include myself in that description–love and respect their brothers, even if they disagree with them on many fundamental issues.