Moving Commentary: An Occasional Travelogue 1

1. Asher Brander says:

Rabbi and Rebbitzen Adlerstein

Wow!

Panah zivah hodah hadarah.

Our Los Angeles community will have lost its luster, light and beauty.

Everyone in the Kiruv and Torah world in this city (and well beyond) knew deep down that when all else fails, we can always send them to the Adlersteins; The brilliant academic or the brainy know it all would walk into the Adlerstein home embraced, loved, respected and awestruck by the grace, depth and brilliance of Rabbi and Rebbitzen Adlerstein.
    Their hashpaa has been so profound and their demeanor so humble that while we know every Jew is unique and special, somehow they seem more unique than others

Tzeischem L’shalom Rabbi and Rebbitzen Adlerstein – we are jealous and happy for your
    Aliyah and will sorely miss your reliable regal presence in our community

Tzeischem Lshalom Uvoachem Lshalom

2. dr. bill says:

i admire your move to yerushalayim. one minor consolation as you go from 2400 SF to about half that in ir haKodesh. in ir hakodesh, as in the BH it feels roomier. In addition to Divine interventions, as my BIL says, his apartment in yerushalayim has a big kitchen, a big LR and a big DR; all the same room. In addition, you will see limited wasted space for entry foyers, hallways, etc.

i have the opposite problem with a second home in Florida. When I look for a sefer or book, it is in the other house.

3. Shmuel says:

I’m still at a loss to understand why mere objects – most of which were taken for granted – should mean so much, should provide such a sense of security and belonging, which now was so rudely disrupted.

Perhaps the answer is that we see in that act of discarding, a reminder of our own mortality.

4. Dyan says:

I’m jealous. After I convert I plan to make Aliyah. Not sure whether I’d choose Jerusalem, Acre, Nazareth Illit, or Maale Adumim.

5. Nachum says:

Random question: Why “move” and not “make aliyah”?

• We’re doing what many couples do. My wife is coming as an oleh. I’m not initially. So technically, it is not aliyah

• Mycroft says:

There are reasons why people do not want to take on a new citizenship. The decision f what status to take depends on various circumstances. Having said that unless Rabbi Adlerstein can stay in Israel by some student visa which younger Olim do, it keeps them out of IDF get a long visas increased to five years from two recently, eventually if they stay they’ll make him become an Oleh if he wants to stay in country,

Of course, in Ravbi Adlersteins case assuming he and his wife are Americans, his wife Oleh status would entitle her require her to have Israel in general as the dominant country under US Israel income tax treaty, the issue is complex. Depends on certainty one has that they will stay in Israel. Probably AAcCII might be a good source of nof in this question
      I am aware of someone who spends 183 days a year in both Canada and Israel. How by leaving after midnight Israel arrive Canada same day gets credit for living in both. Unlike US Medicare both Canada and Israel require residence of 183 days a year to receive medical coverage.
      Issue is complex. But certainly Nachum it is complex because of keeping options open.

6. Raymond says:

I can so much relate to this, as I am a total pack rat. While after many decades, I did manage to get rid of my high school report card from too many years ago, I have since then regretted having done so. Same with my copy of Menachem Begin’s classic book, The Revolt. What kind of outright traitor am I, to have sold that book online for a mere bowl of lentils (symbolically speaking)?

Books are by far the most difficult item to get rid of. Torah books, that goes without even saying, but even when it comes to secular books. I have had books that I managed to get rid of, only to buy them again, only to get rid of them again, only to buy them again, and on and on it goes. Books are by far the greatest human invention ever, it is the key to almost any real meaning or understanding in life, it is our gateway out of barbarism and into civilization and if we are fortunate, we even get to taste a little bit of Heaven in them. Get rid of them? Never. And so I sit in my tiny apartment, with almost no room to walk in it at all, because there are books everywhere, with no real plans to get rid of them, and with every intention of getting even more great books. In fact, I will confess to having this dream of Rabbi Adlerstein one day writing a Torah commentary exclusively based on the Spanish Rishonim and the Kabbalists of Tsfat, and then having it for sale on Amazon. I might be the first one to buy it.

And as for Rabbi Adlerstein making aliyah, what can I say to that? I have known the man for 30 years….He has been my favorite Rabbi all that time. I still remember the first time I heard him speak. It was at Aish HaTorah here in Los Angeles. I sat there symbolically open-mouthed, so blown away was I by his lecture, and how his mind worked. He is kind of like a modern-day Rambam or Rav Hirsch or name some other independently-minded, absolutely brilliant, solid Torah scholar who is such a thinker, that even his jokes are thought-provoking. I think I speak for many people when I say that while all of us wish him well in Israel, that we will nevertheless feel a real loss in our own local Jewish communities, and yet who knows? Maybe life for all of us Jews will become so unbearable here in America, that we will by necessity have to join him in Israel anyway in some kind of massive emigration to our Jewish land where all of us Jews should be anyway.

I hope that even after moving to Israel, that Rabbi Adlerstein will continue to write articles at least on this Cross-Currents website.

7. mb says:

Fascinating comment re books. But as technology is developing at ever increasing speeds, it won’t be long until physical books are obsolete and even siddurim will become Shabbat compliant e-siddur.
    So thrilled for you making aliya. You’ve been my teacher/mentor for 25 years. I owe you much.I shall miss you much. Happy trails to you!

8. Joel rich says:

It’s not just books. When imi Moradi zll”he was nifteret we tried multiple groups to try to give away usable furniture, appliances etc. to little avail. It amazes me how there is so much poverty, especially in the orthodox world, but no demand for anything but new or very lightly used merchandise. Hashem Yair enai as to the reasons.
    Kt

9. Shades of Gray says:

Hatzlacha rabbah on the move!

R. Berel Wein has an article titled “My Books” where he also describes having to leave a substantial part of his library in the United States. He relates an anecdote regarding Prof. Harry Wolfson of Harvard, who was once confronted by one of his colleagues who said to him: “Why do you Jews think you are so special?!” Wolfson is reported to have coolly answered: “As far as I know, we are the only people who when we drop a book on the floor, we pick it up and kiss it.”

10. Sarah Elias says:

Yishuv tov!

11. lacosta says:

kvod harav— did you try posting to hillygram before putting seforim in sheimot? i find that when seforim are laid out on a table , like in free, they often find takers…..

12. Steve Brizel says:

May we all have the same issues in making Aliyah Bimherah Vyameinu and may we all have a klitah tovah. LA the overall Torah community and this wondetful pary of the Jewish blogosphere will miss your incisive comments on all issues.

13. sbk says:

don’t discard report cards, public library cards or whatever. useful to prove your having lived in the States until a certain age which will enable grandchildren bli ayin hora born abroad to attain American citenship.

14. Philip Wagner says:

I love how you have articulated some of your thoughts and feelings. I will miss. you but hope to come visit.

15. Arnie Lustiger says:

It was after Yaakov retrieved his “pachim ketanim” that he was attacked by the saro shel Esav. This medrash is consistent with Rav Dessler’s idea.

I am reading your Aliya diary avidly – it is almost a vicarious experience. Please update us regularly.

16. Cvmay says:

Loving your travel log, I started with #3 & went backwards. Always difficult to discard pieces of life, full of memories & events. You will begin to collect new, beautiful & unique experiences in your proud Aliyah.