What Counts (And What Doesn’t) In A Candidate

1. shnmuel says:

Perhaps I’m being nit picky but actually voting AGAINST someone because of their race or gender constitutes racism /sexism . Voting FOR that person is considered an act of ethnic /gender pride. Perhaps misplaced and a poor choice but not racist or sexist.

Isn’t it accurate to say that a vast majority of Jews, including many Orthodox, still votes Democratic in November, come what may? In one-party towns like NYC or Chicago, the Orthodox politicians all seem to be Democrats, too. The power of rationalization is still great.

3. LOberstein says:

What worries me is the following scenario.If Hillary wins the nomination after a bitter campaign, Blacks and young voters will feel cheated and abandon the Democratic Party . We will become like Kenya with two tribes i.e. blacks and youth vs older women and white working class males who say a choice for the other side is not legitimate. We may be heading for dangerous times for our political system. The Obama phenomenon is dangerous if his losing opens a Pandora’s Box. Is there a sense of entitlement that his time has come and we dare not stand in the way.
    If this scenario occurs and many politicos are predicting it, we may see massive upheaval in the Democratic Party and the election going to McCain by default. I guess many people see that as a positive outcome.

4. Joseph says:

Rabbi Shafran admits that gender plays a proper role in religious services (and by definition leadership), yet somehow, incorrectly I maintain, concludes that gender should play no role in choosing a national leader.

5. Yehoshua Friedman says:

I think that the Democratic nomination will have to be decided at the convention. I predict that the media will be indignant that they have been shut out of the process after all the work they did brainwashing the voters in the name of democracy. What they will do for sour grapes is try to tell the voters that they were had by the system and shouldn’t vote for the Dem nominee. It may not work. We are overdue for an anti-media backlash. We frum Jews, who don’t have TV and are pretty picky about use of any media, are a lot healthier and freer mentally than most. I, who will not be voting in any US election, will nonetheless be very interested to see how it plays out.

6. Ari says:

Nit: Lieberman/Gore was 2000, not 2004.

I know this because I remember thinking at the time that had the September 11 attacks occured during a Gore/Lieberman administration, the Jews would have been blamed.

Oh wait, the Jews were blamed.