Consultation of Virtual Rabbis on the Rise

1. mb says:

Since when is having a home computer synonymous with surfing the Internet at home? I am surprised that a conference on “Judaism, Society and the Internet” did not provide the actual number who access the Internet regularly. Or perhaps they did, and UPI didn’t report that data—or misrepresented what the number referred to.

Well, here is a statistic you can’t argue with. 100% of the Cheredim who post on this site, surf the web.

2. Jewish Observer says:

“Since when is having a home computer synonymous with surfing the Internet at home”

Good point. Maybe they are just experimenting with the computer.

3. Michoel says:

JO,
    I know many charedim that have computers for their children to write reports on, but do not have a modem, email or internet.

4. Ahron says:

This use of broad, non-specific, mushy statistics is typical of modern press reportage on a number of issues–there seems to be no thought given as to whether “computer at home” is synonymous with “surfing the internet”. Just a touch of logical discrimination would have led to that immediate followup inquiry. Heveh marbeh la’chakor es ha’edim!: Journalists, ask sharp questions please!

5. Jewish Observer says:

“I know many charedim that have computers for their children to write reports on, but do not have a modem, email or internet”

(I know this because in the summer of ’86 when I went to buy an AC by Hoffy’s on 13th Ave, the baalabus told me he will have to deliver it in a TV box. So I said what do I care? he then explained to me that his other customers were having TV’s delivered in AC boxes. At that point I understood why I should care, but was too hot to really care. PS, the AC lasted for a long time, but a couple of years ago we got central AC which is incredible. I really recommend it.)

6. Michoel says:

JO
    “I know many charedim who had their televisions delivered in air conditioner boxes.”

Ve’al kein?