Orthodox ascendant among U.S. Jews

1. shmuel says:

Let’s be clear and sober. The statistics may be somewhat misleading. While the Orthodox numerator is growing somewhat, the total Jewish population is essentailly stagnant or possibly decreasing due to low birth rate and intermarriage among the non-Orthodox. Hence while the increasing percentage of Orthodox is something to be happy about, the reason for it is a bit more sobering as we are losing some many of our bretheren to apathy. To co-opt chazal while numerous Jews are drowning in a sea of assimilation, its no time to sing shira.

2. joel rich says:

You might want to tie it in with Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” which ends with what I always considered a paean to the Orthodox (especially imho RWMO:-)) world: “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference”

BTW an arguably wise actuary once said: “linear extrapolations of current trends are always wrong, including this one”
    KT

Now that they’ve seen the future, all the famous Jewish-American organizations and consultants will run to us to make nice. It’s a beautiful thing!

4. SephardiLady says:

Like Shmuel, above, I’m not popping my champagne cork quite yet. With the financial crisises many Orthodox families are facing or will face if no changes are made (call me a pessimist), who will fund the massive infrastructure of the Orthodox community?

I think it is quite obvious that we do not have the level of organization amongst ourselves to change our infrastructure. And, while many older very Jewish, but non-observant, Jews have given significant sums of money to Day Schools, Yeshivot, and other Orthodox Institutions, if their heirs are not compelled to do the same (which they probably since we see our great losses in these numbers), than an important funding source will close and we will be on the losing end.

The numbers sadden me tremendously.

5. der Alte says:

As a personal matter, I’m delighted to read aout this trend. An
    earlier study (“Will your grandchildren be Jewish?”) was even
    more stark in its prediction.

A word of caution. Analyzing social trends can be tricky. I would
    like to live 50 more years (two generations) to see how things turn
    out.

6. HILLEL says:

WEll,it should come as no surprise. This is deja-vous all over gain. Those who abandon authentic Jewish tradition get lost among the nations.

Only those who hold onto the lifeline of authentic Torah Judaism are granted the miracle of survival and continuity–It’s been that way for all 2000 years of our exile.

7. Sara says:

We have known these figures for along time now. Dick Horowitz recently updated his study, “Will your grandkids be Jewish?”