Rehab and Repentance

1. Naomi Landis says:

This was one of the most beautiful, inspiring, and encouraging pieces I have ever read. May Hashem give us the tools to emulate the 13 principles of divine mercy in order to strengthen our relationship with all our children.

2. Rafael Quinoaface says:

Absolutely beautiful and meaningful! A gut gebenshed yohr to the author, his family, and to all of Am Yisroel!

3. mycroft says:

My bracha is that she continue in recovery.

4. Steve Brizel says:

An amazing and powerful piece! We dare not ignore the fact that the issue of addiction is RL alive and well in all of our communities.

5. GlattSomeQuestions says:

Wow!

6. Raymond says:

I see danger in this, and I say that from personal experience. I had an older brother who was definitely the problem child of our family. Back in those days when I was too young to have proper perspective, I interpreted the extra attention that my mother paid to him, as a sure sign that she favored him over me. I did not realize what my motivation was at the time, but in response, I began acting out as well, although thankfully not in a way that was anywhere nearly as self-destructive as what my brother was doing. And even putting aside my particular situation, just reading through the entire first book of our Torah, one is struck by the recurrent theme of the disaster that occurs as a result of one sibling being favored over the others. And so when a parent pays special attention to their problem children, they should also find a way to make their more compliant children feel special to their parents, too. This is no easy task, but then again, nobody ever honestly claimed that being a parent is an easy task. It is, however, probably the most important role that we will ever have in our lives.