On the Tightrope

1. Luba Penner says:

Kudos to the author for her honest introspection and the courage to expose her feelings, feelings that are many (all?) of us experience, but would not admit…

2. dr. bill says:

Nice article; something that expresses ger ve’toshav very well.   Two points. 1) I think the tension is not necessarily modernity but existence and success in a secular world for those who participate and identification with a covenantal community.  2) I think the tight rope does not convey the right image.  We must stay close to balanced, but expect to never achieve perfect balance; despite that we have not fallen.

3. Steve Brizel says:

Great article!

4. joel rich says:

I sent a note this morning  which included this observation: As The Rav pointed out –we live the ger v’toshav<stranger/citizen> life every day; wrestling with that dialectic (or how we allocate our most precious resource, our time) is what we will be graded on.
    I may envy those who experience a wholistic life free of the dynamic tension that I experience but it is not a product of right wing influences. IMHO it is a product of trying to do the ratzon hashem in the real world and that really hasn’t changed in millennia.  Interesting is the Gra was reputed to have tried to rise up from the real world to the greater holiness of the heavens, The Rav to try to pull down holiness to this world.  The latter approach was what I received from my parents and teachers.
    KT

• reader says:

“Interesting is the Gra was reputed to have tried to rise up from the real world to the greater holiness of the heavens”

What does that mean? I think the poster is trying to repeat something from a drosho, but the way it is written can lead to misunderstanding. And a drosho is a drosho, and ‘poetic license’ is sometimes used therein. People should be aware of that and realize that a recent drosho is not necessarily universally accepted, or on the level of a standard Torah teaching.

FYI, The GR”A was approached by heavenly maggidim, offering to reveal to him secrets from above, and he emphatically refused, maintaining that a person has to work on his own in olam hazeh to attain higher levels in Torah and avodas Hashem. So he realized when he was in olam hazeh that that was his place, wherein to operate.

• Alexandra Fleksher says:

Very interesting. I would like to hear more dialogue in the right wing world about the frum Jew’s relationship with the outside world, besides avoiding or fearing it. Reality on the ground is were all in it, and not everyone’s eyes are shut closed tight. I think being frank about the tension might give wording to the feelings that people may already have. That is the feedback I have received from this piece from my little corner of the world.

5. Micah Segelman says:

Thank you for sharing this. I wish people wrote more about their feelings in this way.

6. david z says:

I like that the cds are Mozart and Beethoven. I had those too but they weren’t the ones I discarded. 🙂