Moonlighting in Halacha

2. Ori Pomerantz says:

A few other considerations:

1. Written vs. unwritten policy. In a large company, the written policy typically comes from lawyers who are trying to do what will look best at court and therefore are very strict. The unwritten policy you get from your manager is often a lot more lenient. Which truly represents the business?

2. Variable workload. Some weeks there is an urgent project, and the company needs you to work extra. Other weeks, there are only a few back-burner issues. You still need to be available the whole time, because if somebody has a question they need a quick answer – but there isn’t that much actual work.

3. Side projects that actually help the primary employer. Often, your skills are a big part of your value proposition. When there isn’t a lot of work, learning new and potentially relevant skills is a valid use of work time. I have a number of skills I learned from edx.org or udacity.com and then applied on my day job.

4. Business travel. It makes little sense to take two laptops on an airplane, and none to risk one’s personal laptop. Is it wrong to use the work laptop for personal things outside of work hours, when you are away from home, family, and personal equipment because you’re traveling on behest of your employer?

These are actual issues in my job, BTW – not things I invented randomly to ask questions.

3. dr. bill says:

the relevant question is identifying realistic cases where the halakha and common practice differ.

4. Mr. Cohen says:

In paragraph 5, please correct “Sefaardic” to “Sefardic.”

5. Raymond says:

Why anybody would even want to work more than forty hours per week, is beyond my understanding. I realize that one cannot really become wealthy if one confines onerself to working only that much per week, but to my way of thinking at least, there are things in this life that are even more important than making boatloads of money, such as enjoying one’s life during the hours that one is not working.

6. Charlie Hall says:

“Are medical residents still working around the clock? How would its effects on alertness differ from those of moonlighting?”

Yes, even after recent reforms 24+ hour shifts are still permitted. And even those reforms resulted in major pushback from residency directors. This is a huge problem and it is one of the many reasons why you will be very likely to get better treatment in a community hospital rather than an academic medical center.

7. SA says:

I find it fascinating that any article on Cross-Currents dealing with what I would broadly call “the wars of the Jews” gets dozens of comments, while something like this, which provides food for thought about practical aspects of the day-to-day life of most of us — got only a handful.

My two cents to Raymond: Many of us work more than 40 hours per week because the basic costs of observant Jewish life require “boatloads of money,” especially if you have a large family. That such a provocative statement has not yet elicited any other reactions reinforces my wonder with regard to my first point above.