Defining Pro-Israel

1. LOberstein says:

There is a falacy out there. It is that the Agudah is not pro Israel because they don’t sing Hallel on Yom HaAtzmaut. The reality in 2008 is that the Agudists like Rabbi Shafran are the most pro Israel people in our community. They really care about Israel’s security and it is vital to their decision on whom to vote for. On the other hand, I attended a conference of the NJDC (Jewish Democrats) a year ago and everyone seeking the nomination told us that he or she loved Israel. The complaint that I heard was that Jewish Democrats are not one issue people, that we should care mainly about a woman’s right to choose and gay rights, and other important topics and not make support for Israel the main or only issue.
    This year, I am not attending the NJDC convention because I have lost interest in their agenda.Many liberal Jews are more liberal than Jews. That is a result of assimilation. These people are pro Israel but it is only one of a range of issues.
    I am a Lieberman Democrat and my breed is on the outs with the gay marriage crowd. Obama is underwhelming, of course, he says the right words, he has the best advisors money can buy. But, Sarah Palin, who knows very little about Israel, is a truer friend because her religion is pro Israel.I trust Lieberman to keep McCain on course with Israel.
    This does not mean blind obedience to every Israeli position. The US President has to do what is in America’s best interests.

2. soccer dad says:

FWIW, I e-mailed Morhaim’s office that his assertion was inaccurate and suggested that he write a correction. I have not received a response. I acknowledged that McCain’s Israel page 1 level deeper than Obama’s, but it is at the website.

3. Jacob Haller says:

Perhaps the most pro-Israel position anyone could take (citizen or candidate) is to find a way for Israel to be more independent and less involved with the U.S. both financially and in other disciplines.

McCain made a powerful remark regarding Sderot but let’s face reality, if he’s elected President (BTW,I’m looking for a 3rd party to vote for) it’s inevitable that he will persuade the Israelis to negotiate with all Arab parties and use Iran as a pretext for doing so. Not unlike Rabin’s selling point to the public at the time of Oslo I.

Until I found out that he ran around with really wild characters, Ron Paul’s candidacy was intriguing. He went on record saying that his opposition to all foreign aid would benefit Israel as well. Why? For one thing, by stopping all foreign the U.S. Government would not be hypocritically hedging their bets by giving to Israel AND to Israel’s enemies (Saudi Arabia, Palestinian Authority, Pakistan). Furthermore, Israel could make strategic decisions without worrying about the U.S. Since Paul never counted on the support of AIPAC and other lobbyists, it would be a hard sell to convince that these remarks were in order to pander to some audience.

The last point was stated powerfully in Michael Oren’s book about the 6 Day War. Once it was clear to the the Israelis that the U.S., the UK, France and every other “ally” was willing to give lip service but nothing more, it was actually a RELIEF to the Israelis that they were on their own and didn’t need to worry about some proverbial umbilical cord to dictate their decision making.

Wasn’t that the premise of Zionism? Independence? Is the AIPAC-Israel relationship healthy for anyone, Israel or the U.S.?

FYI, I generally keep these types of remarks mum since they could be cyncially exploited by any nemesis.

4. LOberstein says:

jacob Haller, since you signed your name you deserve a response.Voting for a 3rd party makes you irrelevant.Gore would have been President if there were just a few more Democrats voting in Florida.This will be a close election. Ron Paul is our enemy, don’t be fooled. The US embargoed weapons to all sides in the 1948 War , so who lost out?Not the Arabs who got from other sources, only little Israel. Luckily Hashem put the idea in Stalin’s mind that Israel would be a Communist bulwark and he let Czechoslovakia sell arms to Israel.
    In this world, Israel is very small and survives due to a lot of help from the US. AIPAC convinces a lot of politicians that it is in America’s national interests to support Israel. I am glad they believe it.
    Zionism was a dream but we live in the real world and Israel’s long term viability is a matter of immense concern to all of us. Let’s be happy that the USA is our friend and let’s keep it that way.

5. dovid says:

“AIPAC convinces a lot of politicians that it is in America’s national interests to support Israel. I am glad they believe it.”

LOberstein, I am not sure you meant it but you sound as if you are skeptical that supporting little Israel is in America’s interest. The reality is that a strong Israel is in America’s best national interest, regardless of one’s political views. I suggest you take a look at the article by Martin Kramer in http://www.aish.com/jewishissues/middleeast/The_American_Interest.asp

6. Jacob Haller says:

LOberstein,

Do you have any comment regarding the forecast that if John McCain is elected he will encourage the Israelis to sit with Abbas (and probably Hamas), will send his Sec’y of State to tell the Israelis to dismantle road blocks and strongly “advise” a split of Jerusalem much like Bush has the past year?

7. Garnel Ironheart says:

Haven’t McCain and Palin learned from Reagan and Schultz? Being unabashedly pro-Israel is the best way NOT to get the liberal Jewish vote!