Shemonah Esrei For The Second Term

Many elements of our predicament are not basically about the election itself, but about accelerating, disturbing trends in American and global society. These trends are now too threatening to shrug off. Business as usual and communal politics as usual won’t shield us.

Sometimes, I see us in the situation right before Kerias Yam Suf. That is, we’re going backwards rather than forwards, headed straight into the hostile fire of mortal enemies we thought we’d left behind. The national tailspin described in Parashas Haazinu, before HaShem’s massive intervention, also comes to mind. Rabbi Adlerstein’s commentary here captures the right mindset to make our prayers count.

2. C. Kanoiy says:

“No matter how they cast their ballots, many in our community feel confusion, vulnerability and fear in the aftermath of the election.”

The question that needs to be addressed is why so many in our community harbor an irrational fear of President Obama? The president has stepped up drone attacks against terrorists, given unprecedented financial and military aid to Israel, is surrounded by Jewish advisers,has appointed an Orthodox Jew as chief of staff, has appointed a Jewish Supreme Court Justice, helped defeat Gadahfi, has made the right call on bailing out the auto industry and has addressed some of the inadequacies of the Health Care system. Yet many in our community believe that the President is a socialist or communist and is a closet Muslim and terrorist. Is this due to a latent racism, to the right wing slant of Chareidi journalism or some other nefarious factor? By all accounts the hysteria and paranoia exhibited by some requires some thought provoking discussion.

3. E. Fink says:

Lovely sentiments. I envy your kavanah.

What does this have to do with the “second term”?

4. L says:

So beautiful. I also have no idea what this has to do with Obama’s reelection. Although for those who are inclined to view that in cataclysmic terms, your thoughts are a sensitive and welcome replacement for Rabbi Pruzansky’s recently published shameful vitriol.

5. Charles Hall says:

Thank you. While I think I’m a bit more of an optimist than you, we clearly face a lot of threats and have to rely on Hashem. I will have this in mind when I pray tomorrow morning.

Regarding the second term, I thought about praying that my candidate would win. I realized that this was inappropriate; I simply prayed instead that we make the right decision. I pray now that we did.

6. Zehava says:

It’s clear that both you and Rabbi Pruzansky have deep concerns about the outcome of the election. It’s refreshing to see a reaction with a much more positive message.

7. Shmuel says:

Bravo, for effectively merging the affect and cognitive in the ‘ruchnius’ of your commentary on Tefilla. You give pause to others (at least me) in how to further fashion, frame our kavannah in a relevant and meaningful way.

8. Daniel says:

I have tried to make this exercise as non-partisan as I know how.

You have succeeded in every way except for the title. Why are you invoking the second term? These are things we need to daven for regardless of the current occupant of the White House.

[YA – You missed the point(s), but you are in good company. So many people did, that the fault seems to have been mine.

1) Many people’s passions were inflamed by the campaign, and those who supported Mr. Romney woke up last Wednesday feeling defeated, dejected, and worried about the future. When you look at Shemonah Esrei, even through modern eyes, you can’t help but not that the things that Chazal want us to worry about are really common to Democrats and Republicans, and have little to do with the Second Term
    2) That said, even SOME of the special worries specific to opponents of the President are really covered by the framework worked out by Anshei Knesses haGedolah: worries about Iran, about the strength of the economy, about the security of Israel. 3) Maybe some of the other worries that aren’t covered by Shemonah Esrei just shouldn’t be so high on our list of priorities.]

9. Rabbi Harry Zeitlin says:

One plus already from the election results is that it motivated you to write this beautiful piece. The insights and passion surely transcend the specific goad.
    Regardless of my own opinions and desires for this election, HKBH directs the world at all times. Sometimes it seems that we understand, other times that it’s all so incomprehensible, but the fact is, we’ll never “know” but must rely on Bitachon and Emunah. Even, or especially, when it hurts.

10. shaya says:

Thanks you — very beautiful and relevant. Keep going, and this could turn into a Likutei Tefilos for our time!