Do You Know Where Your Boychik Is?

1. dr. bill says:

Pardon my sensitivity. Your contrast: “The experience of a year or more in yeshiva in Eretz Yisrael has brought about something akin to a transformation of American Modern Orthodoxy, with many more young men than ever before returning to the United States with a deep commitment to Torah learning.

And in the yeshiva world, it is easy to understand why bochurim are so eager to come to Eretz Yisrael to learn.”

My MO son matured as do many 17 year olds in his 2 year of intensive learning at Yeshivat Har Etzion. I never worried about where he was despite the reputation of the Gush for giving talmidim freedom. I did not realize he was not in the yeshiva world!

His rabbeim, a gadol or two among them, encouraged many of us to to come to the yeshiva not to check up but to learn with their sons.

2. joel rich says:

Why and How to Teach Emunah,” of many top notch yeshiva products who “when it comes to emunah . . . neither believe nor disbelieve. He is simply moving along the conveyor belt, which takes him from cradle to kollel. He goes through the motions, and may even be very happy doing so. But his lack of conviction permeates all that he does. These youngsters are as much at risk as the disenchanted, although they may not be aware of it yet. . . . Woe to him, if ever faced with a serious nisayon, like the temptation for something immoral or dishonest. Only real conviction can enable one to withstand temptation, not a robotic life style.”
    ===========================

Is it your contention that this is different in the US? Why?
    She-nir’eh et nehamat Yerushalayim u-binyanah bi-mherah ve-yamenu

KT

3. CJ Srullowitz says:

Certain yeshivos have never been fans, lulei demistafina, of sending boys off to Eretz Yisrael at eighteen.

The Philadelphia Yeshiva, for example, typically held onto their boys for three to four years past high school before shipping them off to Brisk in Jerusalem.

4. L. Oberstein says:

Do you realize that there are girls in Seminaries who go to bars? I wouldn’t have believed it if I had not heard it from a Seminary girl I visited in a “good” Seminary. The school was defensive and berated the girl for snitching to an outsider. That Jewish girls from frum homes go to bars is beyond my understanding. Yet, all it shows is how old fashioned I am , the world has moved away from me. The girl who snitched told me that she was later approached by this girl and asked why she thought going to bars was wrong, she didn’t see why not. She said that her mother also goes to bars and takes her. So, maybe this is a mixed up dysfunctional familly, or maybe we frum Jews have a drinking problem.

5. cvmay says:

The blame that has been thrown onto the American Yeshiva Bochur (and his parents)is unfounded & thereby an easy way to ignore the homegrown aggressive Charedei attacks towards those outside their community.

6. David says:

Rabbi Rosenblum:

You wrote that, in “most instances,” the American bochurim arrested at demonstrations and severely beaten by Israeli police, were nothing more than innocent bystanders.

That is a very serious charge.

How are you so certain?

7. jewfromjerusalem says:

“especially since every yeshiva in the vicinity posted signs warning talmidim against participation in the demonstrations”
    Is that so? Which yeshiva other than Mir had a sign. In another article you claimed the sign was up 3 weeks. Being that it was dated 23 Tamuz, I add think that makes 1 week from when your article was written.

“Nor do most bochurim today experience anything like the close contact with towering Torah figures like Reb Nachum,” etc.
    My response: We follow the leaders and rebbeim of each generation. Don’t put down the present teachers of Torah. You would have had the same criticism on rav Shach 40 years ago.

Do American bochurim now learning in Israel have as much contact with their Roshei Yeshiva as was true there in times past?

9. Jewboy says:

L. Oberstein seems surprised at seminary students going to bars. I hate to say it, but such things are pretty common in Israel these days. I’m not saying all yeshiva boys and seminary girls go, nor do people from each and every school necessarily go. But there is definetly a party and bar scene amongst Americans studying there, which can create some bad situations.

10. MiMedinat HaYam says:

what require the high school to send a rebbi / teacher to israel during succot, winter break, intersession, spring break, pesach (i’m just using commonly accepted terms ; not implying high schools in america are closed during those times) to check up on their talmidim? why, they’ll have to pay extra pay (plus air fare for a whole family)! tution will go up, etc!

(of course, there’s always some rov / teacher who has to go to israel for some reason anyway, so just give him a little something)

above is sarcasm. but note, most MO high schools do send a rebbe!

11. PK says:

I was a student at a very respected Seminary over 40 years ago. By coming to Israel at that time I went against the stream. I did not go home for 2 years. I called home once (from the central post office). It was not a great experience because I was too worried about the money I was spending for each minute I spoke to the US. Instead I wrote air-grams (do you remember those) home. The food in the dorm was pretty bad and some of us ate in a home in Geulah where they ran a sort of private restaurant. I also knew girls who kept unsuitable books under the mattress and who listened to the radio in their dorm rooms. I even knew one girl who went to dances and later turned out pretty well. Things haven’t changed so much since the “Good Old Days”

Going to Israel is a wonderful experience for the majority of students. It shouldn’t be condemned because of a few rotten apples.

12. tzippi says:

PK, I hope that you have had children in the interim to shepherd through this stage. Could you compare and contrast your experiences with those of your children, especially the younger ones? I’ve only dealt with seminaries in E”Y, not yeshivos, but articles such as this reaffirm my resolve to be mechanech my children al pi darkechem. If they go with the rest of their chevras, it will be because it is right for the particular child.