The Novardhok Paradox

1. Shunamit says:

“But while few if any Novardhokers may actually have requested a loaf of bread from a hardware merchant or placed raw peas in their shoes…”

Here in Israel, such spiritually refining humiliation is available on an everyday basis. Try going into a store to find Velcro. Here. it’s called “scotch” But don’t go into a liquor store and ask for Scotch, because that’s called “viskey”. A felt-tipped permanent marker is a “lord” or a “toosh”, making one feel either blasphemous or rude.

Since reading about Nevardok, I understand why they say the air of Eretz Yisrael makes one wise.

2. Neil Harris says:

What a great essay. I’ve always wondered why, if Novardhok mussar resulted in such a true Simchas HaChaim, didn’t it continue to spread after the Holocaust? I would have thought that after the war, Novardhok’s message of not giving up and carrying on would have been welcome.

3. Mordechai says:

You mean Litvaks can sing and be happy?

I thought those things were Hassidic monopolies! 😉

4. Vanity says:

What is the CD and where can one get it? Thanks.

5. Neil Harris says:

From a letter printed in the Yated recently:
    “It is available in both CD and cassette. For further information, call (718) 854-3481.”

6. Chizki says:

There is an excellent book on Novarodok with haskamos from R’ S. Kamenetsky and R’ Y.Y. Perr entitled “Novarodok: A Movement That Lived In Struggle and Its Unique Approach to the Problem of Man” by Dr. Meir Levin of Queens, NY. I was awed and deeply moved by the book’s descriptions of the Alter of Novarodok and his talmidim, and of the powerful methods of spiritual training they employed. I highly recommend it.

7. ClooJew says:

Thank you Rabbi Shafran. I can’t wait to get my hands on that CD.

I was told, years ago, by an older talmid chacham whom I believe learned in Chachmei Lublin that they would sing niggunim during learing and in the lunch room. This was apparently a common custom. I’m hoping, lulei demistafina, that more such recordings are made.