Who Is That Masked Fundamentalist?

1. soccer dad says:

Kirk Douglas.

Maybe he didn’t say that, but he’s said and written similar things.

2. Ahron says:

>“Natalie Portman finds little evidence of Jewish teen involvement in social justice; the value young Jews are taught, she suggests, is the importance of getting a nice car for their sixteenth birthday.”

I don’t know about “social justice” (whatever that term is supposed to mean) but Ms. Portman is right that most secularized Jews (i.e. the majority of Jews in America today) seem to be raised with few more values than the secularized society around them. The incoherence of that upbringing would indeed lead one to suspect that “getting a nice car” is a high value for many of them.

For her part Ms. Portman is very open about her Israeli heritage and Jewish identity.

3. Noam says:

In Natalie Portman’s defense, she wrote an op/ed piece with her own name attached, while at Harvard strongly defending the State of Israel. And, from what I see here, she is only commenting on what she sees around her.

4. Koby says:

Sounds like vintage Dennis Praeger.

5. Lumpy Rutherford says:

A reform rabbi?

6. Avigdor says:

Don’t confuse “practicing” for “orthodox”. And certainly don’t assume that “committed” means to the Torah. I cheated – I won’t give it away – but I have to say that I am not surprised by who the author is. It’s important for frummer yiddin to realize that the Reform and Conservative who are committed to their Judaism really are sincere in their beliefs.

7. Steve says:

By cutting off the first and last paragraphs, you’ve made him sound much frummer.

8. Steve says:

It’s odd that he included Natalie Portman in that list – based on the quote, she seems to be in agreement with him.

9. Jonathan Rosenblum says:

I bet Jonathan Schorsch though it could be his father.

10. Mark says:

If not for the fact that his synagogue includes so many A-list celebrities, I’d say this was written by the Exodus-Denier himself – David Wolpe.

11. T.A. Zev says:

David Mamet?

12. Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz says:

I would not have guessed correctly (I did google it). It is astonishing that the author would pen those words.

13. YM says:

Now that I did google it, I look forward to your follow-up piece.

14. Tal Benschar says:

“Sadly, many of today’s Jewish stars are not committed Jews.”

That’s really rich coming from him. First, reduce a 3000 year old religion based on the revelation of the Almighty to an entire nation down to nothing more than the tribal customs of a small group of Semites. Then wonder why no one is “committed” to it anymore.

15. dovid says:

I can’t hold my breath any longer. Who is (s)he?

16. another Mordechai says:

Tal Benschar has really capsulized every relevant point into his one short comment. He really said it all.