Our Children Lead Us

1. Jewish Observer says:

“Had they gone to the beach, these children would soon enough have forgotten about it”

I get why you like it. but …

… you can say this about any (what we would consider) nonsense activities that children do. I am not sure it is for the ultimate good of the children – hence for our nation – to bring children down to our level of pain about this, versus doing our best to keep them as upbeat as possible. we need them to be well adjusted kids, whatever it takes, so they can ultimatrely be well adjusted adults. if playing served no constructive purpose we should ban it (not cherem, an informal ban) even without a war.

2. Micha says:

Beautiful article except that the title should credit Yeshaiah 11:6.

3. hp says:

mycroft, it’s interesting that you feel saying psalms would have a detrimental impact on the goal of raising “well adjusted kids”. And feeling the pain of others “not for the ultimate good of the children”. Does chinuch in any way, shape, or form make any positive contribution at all to raising healthy kids? Glad you’re not raising my kids.

4. Ori Pomerantz says:

Jewish Observer, if this had been the Israeli war of independance which took over a year, it would be unreasonable to stop the kids from doing fun activities. Children need their fun growing up. However, this isn’t the case. This is neither the first time those kids have a chance to go to the beach, nor the last. Losing one of those chances isn’t going to hurt them.

Children are a lot more perceptive than we expect. Those kids already know that something bad is happening. If the grownups around them try to hide the truth, their imagination will fill in the horrific details – and kids’ imagination can be horrific indeed. It is a lot better if they know what is happening, especially if they believe they can influence it.

5. Jewish Observer says:

Ori,

I hear.

– JO

6. Jewish Observer says:

“Glad you’re not raising my kids”

how would that even work?

7. hp says:

I was so taken aback by your seeming lack of understanding or acceptance of what is a very basic chinuch concept; thus, the incorrect phraseology. To clarify- I am glad that my children are allowed to be exposed to scenarios similar to the one depicted in the original post. To be honest, I am sure that you yourself would agree with the post’s concept- perhaps you felt dissonance with children giving up what appears to be so much for them, and didn’t take the time to integrate the post’s beautiful portrayal.

8. Jewish Observer says:

“didn’t take the time to integrate the post’s beautiful portrayal.”

– yes, you are right