Tears

1. Rabbi Daniel Olgin says:

Toby,

Thank you for the post. I was a talmid of your father in Ohr Lagolah 96-98 and I learned so much from him, both in the classroom and in our personal talks. I was terribly saddened at his petira and I miss his da’as Torah.
    May his neshama have an aliyah and may he be a melitz yosher for you and Klal Yisrael.

Rabbi Daniel Olgin
    Cleveland

2. ralphie says:

Amen

3. Baruch Horowitz says:

Just a quick comment before Shabbos:

I met your father a few times, but actually, my parents knew him much better, as he had introduced them to each other. I also find myself thinking about what he would say in different situations. I think myself, based on a certain interaction that I had with him (which I can e-mail if you wish) that he would emphasize to the current generation that the Jewish people need Gedolie Torah, as the Jewish people can not survive without leaders.

I read your article linked below. One point which struck me was ” My father was an Agudist, but an unusual one: He had a sympathetic view of Mizrachi and a deep appreciation for the writings of Rav Kook.”

I don’t have any particular connection to Mizrachi, but in the broader sense, it is enlightening that one can be part of a particular group and still maintain some individuality, flexibility and (appropriate) non-conformity.

I also echo the last sentence in the current post.

4. mycroft says:

I only had the pleasure of hearing Rabbi Bulman A”H a few times-but he was certainly an articulate spokesman. Those who had the pleasure of knowing him better have commented on his gadlus that was lost and as a person-see eg it might be worth repeating Rabbi Ellison’s comments on Rabbi Bulman when he was growing up in Virginia.

5. yitz says:

Hi Toby, I was with your mother, brothers, sister, nephews and fellow talmidim of Rav Bulman at the cemetery on Friday, and I expressed to your mother and brothers that we need Rav Bulman’s tefillos now more than ever, he should be a Meilitz Yosher for all of us, especially here in Artzeinu HaKedosha.
    Zechuso yagein Aleinu!

6. Eliyahu & Shaindl Barocs says:

Hi Toby,

There isn’t a day that goes by without our having some fond memory of your dear father. It’s hard to believe that it has been 4 years. He was a most important part of our lives, adn that of many others, and we were blessed to be a part of the community. His love for Eretz Yisrael was tangible. May he be a Melitz Yosher for all of us.

Kol Tov,
    Eliayhu and Shaindl

7. Saul Mashbaum says:

Toby and her family know of Rav Bulman\’s greatness better than anyone, but many others recognized it as well. This is because he dedicated his life to others, sharing his outstanding qualities – his erudition, his profundity, his eloquence – with his congregants and talmidim.

His loss is indeed keenly felt in these most dificult times. Yhei zichro baruch.