Sunrise, Sunset

1. Gil Student says:

That’s where I know the name “Gedalia Litke” from! Cross Currents

I was at your son-in-law’s aufruf because I happened to daven in that shul. And when people said the name of the kallah’s father I just couldn’t figure out why it sounded so familiar. Now I know.

Mazel tov!

2. Baruch Kelman says:

Mazel tov!!

regards from Yerushalyim

Baruch Kelman

3. Steve Brizel says:

Mazel tov!

4. ks says:

“It is a firm Jewish belief that deceased anscestors are in some way present at a wedding.”

It IS?

This is announced at weddings a lot “az shtayt in sefarim,” and apparently it’s becoming a common Jewish belief, but firmness requires sources in chazal or at least rishonim.

5. Saul Lieberman says:

Mazal Tov Gedalia!

A source (that deceased anscestors are in some way present at a wedding) is the Zohar to Parshat Pinchas, daf 219 amud bet (available at http://www.famousrabbis.com/zohar/pinchas.pdf, beginning on the last line of page 43 of the pdf).

My translation:

“And even though the father and mother have left this world, the simchah [lit. chedvah] is attended by all of its “partners” (shutafim). Because we have learned, when a person joins Hakadosh Baruch Hu to his simchah, Hakadosh Baruch Hu comes to Gan Eden and takes from there the father and mother – for they are partners in the simcha – and brings them with Him to the simchah; and all are in attendance, and the people are unaware.”

Saul Lieberman

6. Michoel says:

Saul,
    Gevaldig!! Few things are more geshmack than a difficult-to-find makor for a yiddishe minhag, or belief.

You made my morning. Thank you.

Michoel

7. Earl Goldberger says:

Gedalia – Jill and I are so happy for you and Ahuva. May you have only simchas in your family and nachas from your kids. I’ll just ask my parents to add a few more bedrooms at the farm to accommodate our growing families at the “Farm Weekend’s” 25th anniversary celebration (2007).

The Spirit of Scannessee Lives!

Earl

8. Yentl bas Raful says:

Of course, congratulations to the Litkes, but I should also like to thank Saul Lieberman for a translation that moved me almost to tears. What a beautiful thought to take to the Chupah.

9. Aaron says:

Mazal tov! Very touching. (though I have to admit I did like the one on actual touching)

Love and wishes of hatzlacha to the family !

Aaron