“We’re Waiting for a Miracle”

1. Michael Klein says:

Does anyone know Ariel Sharon’s mother’s name which
    can be used in a Mi Sheberach?

2. Joshua Nathan says:

Well said!

3. Sam says:

Ariel ben Devorah

4. Michoel says:

“For now we can still pray for a miracle and a refuah shleimah, and that has nothing to do with his politics or political future.”
    Yakov, I agree with you fully. He spent his life (it should continue) dedicated to Klal Yisrael, being badly wounded more than once. The kanoyim should kindly refrain from speaking.

5. Amanda Rush says:

I’ll be interested to see the number of people who oppine that Sharon’s current condition is G-d’s judgment for planning and implementing the disengagement.
    I think we’ve all seen how the “prophets” come out of the woodwork when things like this happen.

6. ralphie says:

I realize this is somewhat off-topic, and I certainly mean no disrespect to Rabbi Menken, but doesn’t it say in Brochos that one may not pray for a miracle?

7. Netanel Livni says:

No, it says one may not rely on a miracle and that one may not pray for Hashem to change the past.

8. ralphie says:

Mr. Livni –

I think it really says not to pray for a miracle – that it is a blessing made in vain. There might be exceptions, according to R’ Herschel Schechter, for one.

(I disagree with the mashgiach in R’ Schechter’s anecdote, by the way. He refuses to pray for someone whose doctors had given up hope, since it would be praying for a miracle. After all, part of the blessing for refuah is “refuat hanefesh.” One can always pray for that without hoping for a miracle, I believe.)

9. Michael Klein says:

Sam, thank you very much, but from where did you get your
    information? I need to know because I want to tell others,
    and they may ask me the same question.

10. Michael Klein says:

I take back comment #9. His name is posted on the OU website http://www.ou.org
    Sam, thanks again.

11. ralphie says:

Okay, so I’m wrong – it says not to pray for something that has already transpired, e.g., for a particular sex of baby once it’s already been conceived.