Narnia, Joseph Campbell, and the Common Themes of Mankind

1. Toby Katz says:

St. Exupery’s *The Little Prince* is an allegory of Jesus but Jewish children read it and don’t pick up on the Christian allusions at all. In fact, some teachers in frum schools assign the book for homework and even the teachers don’t realize it’s a Christian book. So I guess if the Christian motif doesn’t hit you over the head, it’s kosher. Maybe.

2. Lisa says:

The Little Prince is a Christian allegory? I had no idea. I mean, I read Narnia probably a dozen times as a kid without seeing the Christian connection, but I’d never even heard of The Little Prince being one. What is the elephant in the snake supposed to signify?

3. mb says:

As usual, common sense from Rabbi Adlerstein. I wish you were my Rabbi!

4. Aaron says:

I read the Chronicles of Narnia when I was younger (around 10 years old) and it never once occurred to me that there was Christianity involved in it. Perhaps things will be different with the movie, or perhaps older children will see more. I think R. Adlerstein is correct; a great deal of the struck “chords” will depend on what set of strings each child comes equipped with.

5. MP says:

RYA wrote:
    “A perceptive Orthodox Jewish child will plug in very different values in the equation he or she faces….The death of a strong leader will be compared to Mashiach ben Yosef (the proto-Messiah, who will die before the redemption of Israel is completed)….”

Hmmm. How many Jewish children (even teenagers) know of Mashiach ben Yosef (as opposed to simply “Mashiach [ben David]”)?

My nieces (nine and seven years old, respectively) will soon see this movie. They’re perceptive, as compared with the average child, but I’m fairly sure they’re going (more precisely, being taken by their parents) in order to enjoy the movie, not in order to ponder its subliminal (or not-so-subliminal), serious underpinnings.